REPORT: Eastleigh 1-1 Chesterfield

Spitfires unbeaten in 5 after Spireites draw

Alex Wynter’s 12th minute header was cancelled out by a Jordan Hallam effort as Eastleigh were held to a draw against National League strugglers Chesterfield.

The draw extends The Spitfires’ unbeaten run to 5 games following their impressive turn in form.

Ben Strevens named an unchanged lineup from the 3-0 victory over Barrow, as he faced up against former Eastleigh manager Martin Allen in the Chesterfield dugout.

A strong challenge from Danny Hollands in the first minute set the tempo for a feisty battle, and both sides traded half-chances in the opening stages.

Alex Wynter runs away after giving Eastleigh the lead

It was Eastleigh, however, who broke the deadlock in the 12th minute. A dangerous corner from Mark Yeates was flicked on by Ben Williamson at the front post, and Alex Wynter broke free to head home inside the six-yard box.

The Spitfires were flying and dominated for much of the first half. Paul McCallum came closest to doubling the lead with a powerful header, but was denied by an impressive reflex save from Chesterfield’s Callum Burton.

The Spireites slowly grew into the game as the first half wore on, but the Eastleigh back-line was holding firm.

Not to be outdone by his opposite number, Max Stryjek produced a trademark save of his own, stretching to deny a certain tap-in for a Chesterfield forward.

Yet, with three minutes remaining of the opening period, the scores were levelled.

Hallam, making his debut for the visitors after signing on loan from Sheffield United last night, met a low cross from Jerome Binnom-Williams and placed the ball into the bottom corner.

The late first-half equaliser galvanized the away side as the second period began.

Binnom-Williams proved a threat from left back, but his low crosses from the left were cleared away.

McCallum came close again for Eastleigh, pouncing on Lawrence Maguire’s heavy touch and racing through one-on-one, but his shot trickled just wide of the post.

Levi Amantchi almost made an instant impact off the bench for Chesterfield, firing a shot just wide on the hour mark.

The attacking trio of, Williamson, McCallum, and Mark Yeates interlinked well throughout the game, and created two opportunities in the space of three minutes as The Spitfires searched for a second goal.

After some beautiful work on the ball from Yeates and McCallum, the ball found Williamson in the box, but his effort went wide.

Ben Strevens sees his team extend their unbeaten run to 5 games

Williamson then turned provider after collecting the ball from Yeates and laying it off to McCallum, but his shot was hit straight at the ‘keeper.

With the game drawing to a close it felt like a winner was on the cards for either team, and it almost came in the 89th minute for the home side.

After another well-worked move, Yeates had an attempt from 10 yards saved by Burton, who could only parry the loose ball to McCallum. McCallum’s effort then came back off the far post, and the ball was cleared for a corner before Ollie Dennett could reach it inside the six-yard box.

That elusive second goal didn’t come in the end, and the scores ended level.

Eastleigh remain in 9th position, just four points below the play-off places, whilst Chesterfield have dropped into the relegation zone after their eighth league draw in a row.

Report by Tom Mulholland