Match report

Boreham Wood FC 1-0 Eastleigh


A stand out performance and an excellent goal from Bruno Andrade was the difference as Boreham Wood edged out Eastleigh 1-0 in a close contest at Meadow Park.

Andrade’s fantastic first time strike on 77 minutes was enough to earn all three points despite Eastleigh dominating the second half.

The ongoing injury curse had stuck again for Eastleigh, keeper Graham Stack forced out of the squad with Ross Flitney coming into the starting 11 in the only change from the team that won 2-1 at Hartlepool.

It was a non-starter for much of the first half but the game sprung to life in the 25th minute, Gary McSheffery was denied on the line by defender David Stevens after Mark Yeates had delivered a dangerous low cross into the box.

In a blink it was then Boreham Wood on the attack, Andrade sprinting past Ayo Obileye before unleashing a fierce strike which was parried by Flitney, with the rebound going wide.

Andrade was providing the creativity for the home side, this time dribbling the ball into the Eastleigh box before making room for the shot which was well saved by Flitney at his near post.

The Portuguese was starting to run the show, creating further chances later in the first half, his cross from the left was well defended before the winger tried curling one from 20 yards, going inches wide.

Gary McSheffrey failed to return to the pitch for the second half with Ben Strevens replacing him and it was almost a nightmare start as Andrade ran straight through the defence to fire at Flitney who was equal to it but the bouncing ball needed clearing of the line by the recovering defenders.

Eastleigh’s first real chances of the second half came right after each other, a Yeates freekick directed towards the near post caused havoc for the Boreham Wood defence with the ball bouncing around in the box which eventually went out for a corner.

Yeates again with the delivery, this time Howe met the ball full flush on the head and although the power was there the accuracy was not, the ball flashing wide.

If Boreham Wood controlled the first half the second period definitely belonged to the Spits, Hollands firing a 30 yard shot straight at the keeper. But a bit of quality from Andrade on the 77th minute and Eastleigh found themselves behind.

The attacker with an expert first time finish from a low cross which somehow found its way through several players and onto Andrade’s right foot, with the ball past Flitney before he even had a chance.

Eastleigh pushed for a late equalizer but were vulnerable on the counter with Andrade still a threat. But Boreham Wood managed to hold on for the win.

Eastleigh will look to bounce back in front of the cameras for the live match away to Wrexham, 5.30pm on Saturday.

Team: Flitney, Wood, Howe, Boyce, Obileye, Constable, Hollands, Miley, Yeates, Zebroski, McSheffrey

Subs used: Williamson, McAllister, Strevens

Season Stats

Top Scorers
Ben Williamson 9
Paul McCallum 5
Cavaghn Miley 5
Mark Yeates4
Chris Zebroski4