Match report

The ten-men Spits rallied late on to earn a deserved point against promotion-chasing Wrexham in a 1-1 draw at the Silverlake.

Captain Ryan Cresswell was on hand at both ends of the pitch to save a certain goal and then score the equalizer in stoppage time.

Eastleigh were down to ten men for the last 20 minutes after Andrew Boyce had been shown a red card following his second bookable offence.

Wrexham had taken the lead in the first half through a Scott Quigley penalty – given away by Boyce. Despite the good result, the Spits drop one place to 13th in the Vanarama National League.

Eastleigh had to wait just 30 seconds for their first attempt of the match – Ryan Broom’s shot from outside the area deflected off Emanuel Smith and forced ‘keeper Chris Dunn into an acrobatic save.

Dunn was in action again just a few minutes later to keep out Chris Zebroski after a long Graham Stack free-kick fell into the box at the feet of the striker, only for Dunn to tip the shot away.

The half was stopped on several occasions for various injuries – including one to Wrexham’s star striker Chris Holroyd, who limped off on 17 minutes after failing to shake a self-sustained ankle injury.

The loss of Holroyd didn’t prevent Wrexham from making their way onto the scoresheet. Cresswell pulled Quigley down in the box and the striker converted from the spot – firing low to Stack’s left.

The Spits responded well with chances from Sam Mathews – almost turning in a cross from the left and then the best chance of the half falling to Paul McCallum.

Zebroski’s whipped cross found McCallum alone in the box but his header was spectacularly saved at point-blank range by Dunn.

A Matthews free-kick at the start of the second half tested Dunn, but yet again the ‘keeper was equal to it.

Zebroski and McCallum both missed early chances with McCallum’s far-post header drifting wide and Zebroski unable to find support after a darting run into the box.

The away side then missed a great opportunity on 54 minutes – in a three vs one Quigley failed to make an easy pass and squandered their best chance of the second half.

Things then took a turn for the worse for the Boys in Blue – Boyce was shown a second yellow for a rash challenge to leave his side playing the remaining 20 minutes with ten men.

Despite being a man down it was the Spits that dominated the remainder of the match – Williamson going close after failing to make full contact with the ball on a diving header.

As Eastleigh pushed for an equalizer Wrexham almost made it two but for a goal-saving block from Cresswell.

The Eastleigh captain was then the hero at the other end as he bundled in the 94th-minute leveller from a corner after goalkeeper Stack caused chaos in the box.

Eastleigh’s next game is away to Barrow on Tuesday 10th April while they don’t return to the Silverlake until the 17th of April when they host Ebbsfleet.

Season Stats

Top Scorers
Ben Williamson 9
Paul McCallum 5
Cavaghn Miley 5
Mark Yeates4
Chris Zebroski4