Match report

A goal from the returning Ben Williamson was not enough as Eastleigh fell to defeat in North Wales. The Spits went into the break with a one goal lead after a positive performance but second half goals from Chris Holroyd and Shaun Pearson meant it was Wrexham who took all three points in front of the BT cameras.


Williamson, making his first start since playing Aldershot on August 28th after being eased back into the side gave Eastleigh the lead with a poacher’s finish at the near post right on half time.


Wrexham stepped up their game in the second half and put Richard Hill’s men under constant pressure which eventually gave way in the 72nd minute, captain Pearson with the bullet header. One became two in just five minutes as a deflected Holroyd shot beat Ross Flitney in goal.


Unable to muster a comeback of their own, defeat means Eastleigh are now 18th in the table.


The Spits were boosted by the return of Gavin Hoyte and Williamson who both returned to the starting line-up. Hoyte had been side-lined since picking up an injury late on in the 2-1 loss to Woking in August.


Eastleigh started brightly with Mark Yeates threading through Williamson on the edge of the box in the fifth minute but the striker could only force a save from Luke Coddington. McAllister then fired just over after turning the defender 18 yards out just two minutes later.


Despite the positive start it was Wrexham who went closest, Marcus Kelly receiving the ball just outside the area and his left foot effort smacked the base of the post. A flurry of yellow cards then came halfway through the half, both Danny Hollands and Ben Strevens going into the book for sliding challenges. Mark Carrington was also booked for the home side, referee Alan Young giving a yellow for simulation.


But just as it looked to be heading for a goalless half, Williamson scored his fifth goal of the season. Hollands fought hard on halfway to win the ball before playing in Gary McSheffrey down the left, McSheffrey delivered a low cross to which Williamson was on hand to knick it past the keepers near post.


There were early chances at the start of the second half for both sides, Danny Hollands found himself in space but completely miscued his header in the box. Wrexham’s Kevin Roberts almost found an outstretched Chris Holroyd in the box only for the ball to float just long.


The substitution of Jack Mackreth gave the home side some added impetuous down the right and Wrexham got their reward for constant second half pressure in the 72nd minute.


Captain Shaun Pearson met Marcus Kelly’s whipped corner with a powerful header that flew into the top corner.


Wrexham with the crowd on side and their tails up then took the lead through Chris Holroyd five minutes later. The number ten found space in the box to unleash a shot which took a cruel defection on it’s way through to wrong-foot Ross Flitney and bobble into the net.


Next up for Eastleigh is Hereford in the Emirates FA Cup on Saturday 14th of October at the Silverlake.

Season Stats

Top Scorers
Ben Williamson 9
Paul McCallum 5
Cavaghn Miley 5
Mark Yeates4
Chris Zebroski4