Match report

Eastleigh stormed to a 4-2 victory over Guiseley at The Silverlake Stadium to move up to 15th in the National League.

Andy Hessenthaler’s men were quick out of the blocks and took the lead in just the second minute thanks to an excellent header from Cavaghn Miley.

Rowan Liburd grabbed Guiseley an equaliser in the 19th minute, before Zebroski fired Eastleigh back into the lead in the 36th with his second goal in as many games.

Mark Yeates made it 3-1 when he neatly tucked the ball into bottom corner in the 58th minute, and Callum Howe was next in on the act in the 64th, also scoring in consecutive games.

James Roberts nabbed a consolation for the visitors from the penalty spot in the 78th minute, but Eastleigh were too far ahead for a sniff of a comeback and saw out the 4-2 triumph.

Cavaghn Miley fired Eastleigh into the lead just 80 seconds after the kick-off with a bullet header that Guiseley goalkeeper Jonathan Maxted was nowhere near.

Flitney commanded his penalty area well on his return following Graham Stack absence with an ongoing groin injury. The Eastleigh stopper claimed a cross from Mike Fondop before releasing Sam Matthews down the right with a monster throw. The Bournemouth loanee surged forward into space and delivered an accurate cross, but the Guiseley defence stood firm to avoid going two goals behind before the 10-minute mark.

The visitors very nearly equalised in the 18th minute when Fondop received a cross from Alex-Ray Harvey. His header looped over Flitney and looked to be sneaking in at the far post, but Andrew Boyce cleared off the goal line and kept The Spitfires in the lead.

The score then was level a minute later when Rowan Liburd guided the ball into the back of the net after working some space in the penalty area.

Mark Yeates and Sam Wood combined beautifully down the left as The Spitfires pushed to retake the lead, and Wood’s low delivery was parried back into danger by the goalkeeper. Zebroski was inches away from tapping the follow-up into an empty net but the ball was lashed clear.

It was end-to-end stuff throughout the first half; Fondop had the next big chance after racing through and finding himself one on one, but Flitney rushed off his line and got down to make a fine save.

Matthews continued to be a thorn in the side of the Guiseley defence with a couple of left footed shots in quick succession from the edge of the area as he cut in from the right wing.

Fondop then found Liburd with a through ball, and he had a chance to get his and Guiseley’s second. Flitney was on hand with another great stop, this time with his chest.

Yeates’ delivery into the area then appeared to be going over everyone, but Zebroski ghosted in at the back post and a fabulous touch allowed him to lash the ball into the roof of the net and regain Eastleigh’s lead in the 36th minute.

Bradley Hudson-Odoi showed great feet to make a yard for a strike. His effort was blocked, and after a scramble in the penalty area Matthews wanted it most, and unleashed a low drive that Maxted stretched to keep out.

Hudson-Odoi was at it again early in the second half, and was close to doubling Eastleigh’s lead when his smart shot low to the near post from a tight angle was saved.

Yeates made it 3-1 in the 58th minute when he slotted the ball into the bottom corner. The winger was clever to time his run and latch onto a long ball up from the defence, and made the finish look easy.

If the first half was end-to-end, The Boys In Blue made sure that wasn’t the case after the break. They continued to pile the pressure on the visitors, and looked threatening every time they got on the ball.

Matthews showed some skill to win a free-kick for Yeates to take on the corner of the penalty area. The delivery was a threatening one, and after the Guiseley defence failed to clear their lines Callum Howe was on hand to rifle the ball into the back of the net for Eastleigh’s 4th.

Danny Hollands fancied getting in on the act, and tried his luck from the halfway line after spotting Maxted off his line following a mishit clearance. The midfielder’s effort floated goalwards and it looked as though it would be 5-1, but the ball agonisingly bounced in front of goal and over the crossbar.

Guiseley then nabbed a consolation goal from the penalty spot completely against the run of play in the 78th minute. Substitute James Roberts was brought down in the box by Wood, and converted the penalty himself.

Sam Togwell then made his return from a hip injury that had seen him sidelined since October.

Yeates’ jinking run ended with him clipping the outside of the post, and a welcome return for Sam Togwell saw out the game for The Spitfires.

Written by Ashley Gregory.

Season Stats

Top Scorers
Ben Williamson9
Paul McCallum5
Cavaghn Miley5
Mark Yeates4
Chris Zebroski4